Jenny came to help with this years wine bottling, and while I was squishing the next batch of elderberry this happened!
I also managed to spill it down myself and we had to stop Swingle slurping the floor! And despite me cleaning thoroughly, Dave came home later and straightaway found all the sticky bits I’d missed!
So the wine has come out surprisingly dry this year. The Gooseberry is delightfully pink as hoped. The first batch was the driest, and that which I added extra sugar to, only marginally sweeter. The blackcurrant isn’t so sweet either. I can only surmise that its due to the wet summer which means less sugar, but I did pick after a few hot days.
Maybe I do need to change my method and have the fruit must and sugar and the yeast in a bucket for few days rather than adding the sugar to the sieved must. Note to self for next year!
Maybe the elderberry will be the same. My trees are a disappointment again, so one will be chopped down to start again and the other pruned. On my dog walks I spotted several laden trees, so I stole my elderberries from behind the factory, some were hanging like bunches of grapes.