Its been a funny old year for the fruit. The late snow zapped a lot of the buds, there aren’t a lot of apples and pears about, there were no cherrys and very few blackcurrants. The rain stopped the bees flying and pollinating too.
However, for some reason, I had loads of Gooseberrys. So when they were starting to go red, I picked for wine. I was surprised that for such a sharp fruit, the recipes had relatively little sugar. I had all in a bucket, for a couple of days, then added the sugar, but one seemed to have a bad seal , so I sieved it and put it in the jar the next day. It seems to have nearly finished fermenting after a month, and is the one on the left. The other is burbling away like mad, so it seems it is best to leave the Must as long as possible. I did taste the second one and found it already dry so added more sugar. It will be interesting to see how the two compare. One the right is my blackcurrant which was excellent last year, but hardly any fruit this year. I’m also looking forward to PINK wine!
BUT there are plenty of elderberries, which flowered in June after all the snow. I’ve got my eye on all the bushes around the village, so hopefully, if the birds don’t eat them before they’re ripe, they should be good!